Get Out

I was able to see an advanced screening of this gem of a film, with my friend Lama and let me tell you, it was a wild ride from start to ...

I was able to see an advanced screening of this gem of a film, with my friend Lama and let me tell you, it was a wild ride from start to finish. 

Chris Washington (the brilliant and engaging Daniel Kaluuya) and his girlfriend Rose Armitage (Allison Williams) are visiting her family for the weekend at their estate.
By the way, Rose is a Caucasian while Chris is a black man - something she has neglected to tell her family. Chris is understandably wary due to this omission, but according to Rose, her father would have voted for Obama for a third term if he could, so you know, everything's Gucci. Chris' best friend, TSA Rod (a scene-stealing LilRel Howrey) warns him not to go but as with every filmic voice of reason, he is ignored.

On the drive to the Armitage estate, a deer runs in front of the car, leaving Chris shaken and soon the police arrive. The officer demands to see Chris' license even though Rose was the one driving - this was just one of the many unfortunately relatable acts that happened. Well, relatable if you're black.
The couple reach the estate and straight away it is clear that something isn't right. Rose's father, Dean, tries too hard ("Chris, my man!"), her mother, Missy is nice enough but still quite cold and brother, Jeremy looks like a drug addict and made me uncomfortable from the jump. This is all normal enough but then there's 'the help': Walter, the groundskeeper and Georgina the housekeeper who are black but also don't respond to any black-isms. In addition to this, they seem  more like robots than humans. Think The Stepford Wives or any body invasion type of show/film.

Mentioning more about what happens next would ruin it for you and obviously that can't run.

Jordan Peele (one half of comedic duo, Key and Peele) wrote and directed Get Out. When I first read this I was pleasantly surprised, I wasn't sure how it would pan out but honestly, this is has to be the most brilliant, hilarious, tense and affecting film that I have seen.
I don't think horror is the right genre to categorise Get Out in, it's more of a psychological thriller. Peele really plays on paranoia and the subtle horrors of racism that black people face daily. I often find myself wondering 'am I overreacting or was that person just racist towards me?' 'Do I call them out or is that just cause for trouble?'

I was constantly on edge and I don't think I've identified so strongly with characters before, namely Chris and Rod. Chris feels nervous in crowds of white people and when at a party where several white guests comment on his physicality, appearance, with one asking if it's true that 'they are bigger down there', he has every right to. You wait with bated breath for a slow reveal of something that will show less than honest intentions towards the protagonist. With Rod, as I said, he's the voice of reason, he'll let you know that setting yourself up to be surrounded by only rich white people for a weekend can be nothing but trouble.
Get Out only heightened my awareness of a lack of black leads in films - horror or otherwise. I can say that this film was made for me to closely identify with it - from facial expressions to hand movements. It was all just so, black.

The final act of the film is insane, scary and wild, is all I can say without explicitly telling you what happens. Everyone should see this film and black people, see this film with other black people too. Watching Get Out with Lama brought a sense of solidarity that made the film so much better, especially considering that there were some things only we understood or made us laugh or upset and that, including us, there were only 3 black people/people of colour in a packed cinema of white people. 

This is a film to remember.
 

To keep up with me:
Instagram: @thegracefilm
Twitter: @TheGraceFilm

I'm currently digging:
YouTube: iHilarity
Movie: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (trailer)
TV: New Girl, The Goldbergs


You Might Also Dig This

2 comments

  1. Loved this! Was in two minds about going to see it as I thought it was straight up horror but I'll deffo be going to see this ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adama, nah it's definitely worth the watch! The horror is more subtle, not so in your face which is good because I don't play with horror lol xxxx

      Delete