Black Out

Evening y'all. Did you hear that the fabulous y gorgeous Nate Parker (see 'Beyond the Lights' and 'The Secret Life of Bees&#...

Evening y'all.


Did you hear that the fabulous y gorgeous Nate Parker (see 'Beyond the Lights' and 'The Secret Life of Bees') has written, directed, produced and stars in the upcoming 'The Birth of a Nation'?
For those who didn't, now you know. You're welcome. 

If you're sat (or stood) there thinking, 'wait, a black man is remaking that racist drivel so called epic from nineteen fifteen?' Fortunately you're wrong, the 2016 film is simply 'ironically named by design' according to Mr Parker. 

It's cast includes Aja Naomi King (How to Get Away With Murder), Aunjanue Ellis (Quantico) and Gabrielle Union (Being Mary Jane) amongst other talented actors. 

I am very excited for the film's release and pray for its success. 


This past Golden Globes was underwhelming for me. Jennifer Lawrence was mean to a reporter. Quentin Tarantino used the word ghetto and I've never felt more like Jamie Foxx when he did. Will Smith and Idris Smith were the two people of colour nominated for motion picture acting awards. That's it really. 


Today I watched Fruitvale Station, the story of young black father, 22 year old Oscar Grant who on New Years Day 2009 was fatally shot in the back by a white police officer. A heartbreaking story told by the excellent Ryan Coogler is one that unfortunately the world knows too well and is still very current. The film has a seriously strong cast in the form of Michael B. Jordan, Melonie Diaz and Octavia Spencer. 
I encourage you to watch the film and read about Oscar's case. 

The Oscar nominations will be released tomorrow. Will we once again be tweeting #OscarsSoWhite ?

I was upset to not really see any nominations for Straight Outta Compton which was critically acclaimed and hailed by many as one of the best film of 2015. 

I feel like lately my posts on race might seem a bit complainey but if things were good or at least equal then I wouldn't have to complain, right?

I turned twenty last week and it hit me how aware I am of the fact that in the profession I want to enter, I am grossly under and misrepresented. 
However I am also ready, ready to tackle this head on and be the black female artist for someone else, a little girl or guy that like me, didn't really see anyone behind or in front of screen who looked like them. 


You Might Also Dig This

0 comments